Thanks for your interest in having me come to your school. Below are some frequently asked questions, but let me know what else I can answer. I love visiting classrooms!
What are we going to talk about?
This is entirely up to you. I am open to just about anything, but here are some ideas:
- Meet the Author: Life before, during, and after a book is born.
- Literature Can Save Lives: An overview of books, including Crazy, that deal with difficult subjects.
- Writing From the Heart in Verse: Hands-on writing workshop that focuses on books written in verse.
- What is Bipolar Disorder? Powerpoint presentation on facts about bipolar and mental illness in general, and author’s personal experience.
How might the schedule work?
Again, this is up to you, and here are some possibilities:
- Full day, beginning with “meet the author” assembly (20-30 minutes), followed by maximum of three classroom visits (45-50 minutes) or two 90-120 minute blocks for writing workshops.
- Single-class or multiple-class visit without assembly.
- Single-class visit.
- Any combination of the above tailored to your specific needs.
What age range is Crazy targeting?
- Crazy is listed as being appropriate for ages 13 and up.
- Writing workshops can be tailored for sixth grade and up.
- School Library Journal says: “It (Crazy) should be in the hands of anyone—teen or adult—who has ever felt powerless at the hands of mental illness.”
How should we prepare for your visit?
- Author visits work best when the students have read all or part of the book.
- Teachers may want to download a free copy of the discussion guide on Eerdmans website: http://tinyurl.com/nhsqysv.
- Sign and return Author Appearance Contract thirty days prior to visit.
What about ordering books?
- Books may be ordered through your local bookstore or from Eerdmans (firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-459-4591). Author event discount is 50% – returnable.
- Be sure to allow 7-10 business days for shipping.
What equipment might you need?
- Microphone for large auditorium presentations.
- Screen and computer with Powerpoint access (depending on presentation).
- A glass or bottle of water is always welcome.
- Lunch if it’s an all-day visit, and I’m happy to sit with teachers or students.
How much do you charge?
- $150 for two hours or less.
- $350 for whole day.
- If I travel over 40 miles, I will ask you to cover expenses for gas, transportation, and lodging (schools in the same city may find it advantageous to team up to share expenses).
- Free: 30-minute Skype Q & A for any classroom that has read Crazy.